Friday, June 21, 2013

BKK Work Trip, March 2012: Bangkok Street Shots

Related entries:
*********
Since I had a couple of hours to spare before my evening flight, I took the new camera out to test out its functionalities :) As you can properly tell, I have a slight interest in photography - with my amateur works on PicPrints & instagram (@caihonglim). I can never figure out the technical behind focal length, shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed etc. I get confused with all the jargon. For me, I just pick up the camera, look for the angle & shoot. Nothing complicated about it. 
 
Back to the hotel after my morning meeting to check out. Pardon the unmade bed (^^)
 On the phone with Leecher, then with mummy dearest.
 Discover fresh coffee, delightful donuts, cakes and sandwiches all under one roof with The One by Renaissance. This little cafe is located along the drive-way to the hotel.
 
Mail box! I took this when I happened to come across this on the internet 
.
.
.
#truestory. I used to exchange letters with my friends during sec school days, but stopped for a v long time.  Nowadays, all I receive in my mail-box are bills, bills & more bills.
 
I made my way to the famous Erawan Shrine (commonly known as 四面佛) located near Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel. There are a lot of vendors selling flowers, incense and candles outside the area.
 
This famous shrine attracts more visitors than many of the city's temples! Unending streams of devotees & people pay their respects from early morning till late at night. I once stayed at Hyatt (another post soon, I hope) and was surprised to see that the temple was still full of people even at 10pm.
 
Birds that you can buy to release, signifying that your prayers are answered. 
 I'm sure we have all heard of the notorious Bangkok traffic in some way or another. I was once stuck in traffic for almost an hour. Thankfully I was on my way back to hotel after a client's visit. Since the govt introduced a policy to refund tax for 1st-time car buyers, the traffic condition has gotten worse with 5 million vehicles in a city which can only cope with less than 2 million cars.
You can almost see Bangkok's name on every Worst Traffic Jam's list. A typical Bangkok driver is said to spend at least 2 months of the year stuck in traffic. Wow, I must have caught these shots during a rare time of the day where there was relatively smooth traffic on the roads.
 
Crossing over to Central World via the overhead bridge.
Central world - this place is soooo big that I've yet to comb the entire building, only stopping @ Naraya most of the time.  
 Display at Central World. It was such a scotching hot day (almost 37 degrees) that I had to seek shelter in the shopping mall before continuing my journey.
 
The legendary Route 66. I'm a huge fan of Pixar movies (Wall-E being my fave!) & quite a lot of characters/places in the movie - Cars - are directly inspired by real Route 66 places and people.
Trimurti Shrine outside Central World. Trimurti is the god of love. Lots of singles, wearing red with red roses in hand will turn to Trimurti in the hope that they will meet their love in life.
 
I have to admit - I'm very bad with countries flags, apart from those countries that I normally frequent. Looking at these flags reminded me of my childhood days, with my box of flags eraser and playing "flipping your eraser over your opponent's" game. Yeah, I was pretty much a tom-boy in my younger years.
The "skywalk" that connects 6 large shopping centers in Bangkok. This walkway runs below a stretch of BTS & connects to three 5-star hotels. You can walk from Central World all the way to MBK via this sky walk. Beats being trapped in traffic too!
 
Another shot of their traffic :) 
 
Street hawkers starting their business, lining up the streets. 

 
Siam Paragon - I seldom step into this shopping mall cuz it housed a host of high-end fashion brands, akin to Paragon in Singapore. Today, I took the chance to have lunch here, in a little cafe that I chanced upon.
 
Boy, I really wished I could just walk through this little fountain to cool myself (^^). I wished I had more time to venture further and take more pictures, but I had to stop for lunch & desperate need of AIRCON!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails