Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sunday Brunch: Benjamin Browns

 
The initial plan was to go cycling at East Coast Park before adjourning to The Garden Slug for brunch. However, Leecher sprained his back & we had to cancel our cycling outing & headed to a new cafe that Pris recommended ~ Benjamin Browns. 
 Just as we were heading out to town, it started to pour heavily. Both EK & Kenneth were caught in jam along CTE. We had the foresight that CTE will be jammed pack, so we took KPE > PIE instead.
 
Our reservation was for 12.30pm, but due to traffic jam + finding parking lots, we only managed to reach at 1pm. Thankfully, the lovely staff still hold our reservation for us. 
 
When I was here last Xmas with EK & Pris, I did not notice this little cafe that was hidden at a corner. Perhaps they just ventured into Forum Shopping Mall not long ago or I could have missed out entirely :)
The open concept made the place looked bigger than it really was. While I adore the dainty display of desserts displayed out on the counter, the decor gave me mixed feelings - Antoinette-ish feel with the array of cakes on one side, Coffee-Bean-ish type of feel on the other side. Kenneth came shortly with Meiqin & echoed my feelings, lol! 
 The coffee bean-ish type of counter.
 
Seeing doubles?
 
Camwhoring while waiting for the rest to come.
 
My hot chocolate ($7) came with a heart ♥
 
I'm easily impressed by all the latte art that I've seen so far, be it the standard heart or fern etc. As I'm a non-coffee drinker, I can only look @ Leecher's latte art whenever he ordered coffee. So, I got rather excited when my hot chocolate came with a heart! Now, I finally have my own "chocolate" art :) 
 
Leecher's latte order ($4.90)
 
We were famished, so we went ahead with brunch first. If you had been following my Cafe trails, I'm quite consistent in my brunch orders, lol! I had Royale ($17), which consisted of poached eggs on toast, hashbrowns, tomato, smoked salmon & salad. I'm normally skeptical about toast, as I'm not a fan of thick toast. The eggs sat on top of a slice of homemade raisin bread, which was extremely soft and chewy. Honestly, if I had to rank my best eggs benedict thus far, I think this would be in the Top 5 spot.

 
Leecher decided to head for main course & ordered Wagyu Burger ($22). Looked like someone can't wait to attack, but rule of thumb - pics first, lol! 
 
Spot the friendly manager in the mirror :) 
 
As soon as Boss EK arrived, wine will appear on the table. Kenneth's first food in-take of the day - red wine.
 They conveniently excluded us from drinking, knowing that we are not a fan of red. Here's a warm welcome to Meiqin, the newest member of our group :)
 Check out her bling bling nails! I love to have her set of nails, as long as it means I'm off any house-work duties, heh.
 Orders for the rest of the group ~ Mushroom soup ($14), Seafood Alio Olio ($19), Carbonara ($17) and Fish & Chips ($19). Judging from the amount of leftover food, I concluded that the best 2 items are Wagyu Burger & Royale, since we polished off every thing on the plate.
 
Cappuccino for both Kenneth & Meiqin. 
 Always fun to hang out with them, though we bicker all the time, lol!
 
Desserts time! Kenneth had the privilege of choosing desserts for everyone. 

Leecher being extremely sensitive to the camera, lol! 
   
Lemon Meringue Tart ($5.90) with 6 rochers ($12) & Chocolate Truffle Cake ($6.90). My personal preference goes to rochers, which was a hit with everyone. Lemon Meringue Tart tasted extremely sour while chocolate truffle cake was a disappointment.
Apple crumble ($6.90) was apparently one of their top sellers, with only 2 slices left. Hmm, I beg to differ - the crumble tasted as if it had been left in the open for too long & was kinda dry. Oreo cheesecake ($6.90), on the other hand, was the best of the lot. Not because it was really yummy, but due to the rest being not-so-yummy.
Ending the post with the lovely girlfriend, fiancee, wife, lol! 3 different stages in life.
Benjamin Browns
583 Orchard Road #01-20/21 
Forum The Shopping Mall
Singapore 238884
Tel: 6887 4117
Opening Hours: 10am till 10pm (Daily)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails