Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Kim's Family Korean Restaurant

 One of the rare times the uni gang met up for dinner on a weekday night. We drove all the way from work to Bt Timah area, braving the horrendous traffic jam, all in the name of Korean food.
 I have long heard about Kim's Family Korean Restaurant. When we were in the area previously, Leecher was busy checking out their menu & was planning for a trip back. So, here we are!
 
Find a spot on the wall and feel free to write anything. 
 
Simple utensils placed on the dining table. 
 The 12 banchans that were mentioned on every food blog that I chanced upon. There were more misses than hits, as A LOT of dishes were extremely salty. Even Leecher, who normally has a higher tolerance level for salt felt the same way. Disappointing start. In fact, I hardly find an entry that posted a bad review on this restaurant. I did have my reservations about raving for this place, when all we encountered were bad food & bad service.  We wanted to refill 2 banchans & after countless requests, only 1 banchan came. I have lost count of the number of times that I had to repeat my request to 3 different people who happened to walk past our table.
This was taken before our mood went downhill.
We ordered the recommended spicy seafood hotpot. When it came, it was just plain water with seafood and topped with lots of chilli powder (or some red powder, seasoning perhaps?). So we left it to cook & stir it occasionally. Once it was cooked, the broth tasted yucky & reeked of seafood smell. The smell is akin to you visiting the wet market and walking towards the wet section. Plus, it wasn't spicy. I need to rant about the noodles too, so please bear with me! When placing orders, I asked if they could add maggi mee into the hotpot. The waitress replied that they serve glass noodles in the hotpot, but I can top up $5 to add extra maggi mee. Since I love ramen, I went ahead with the extra charges. When the hot pot came, it came served in maggi mee! Not only that - the extra noodles that I paid for came in another bowl, cooked. By the time the hotpot was cooked, my noodles were soggy :(
We ordered a set of BBQ set to share as well. The waitress above proceeded to BBQ it for us. After she put the meat on the BBQ grill, she left the table. No indication if she will be coming back to finish the BBQ or are we supposed to do it on our own. We were left clueless for a few minutes before we decided to BBQ it ourselves. Our request for more lettuce, again, went unheard 4 times before it finally arrived. We finished our meal asap & all of us were thankful to step out of this space. In a nutshell, I don't think I'll ever head back to Kim's Family Korean restaurant, for they made me feel like an outsider intruding within their premises.   
Kim's Family Korean Restaurant
17 Lorong Kilat
#01-06 Singapore 598139
Tel: 64650535

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails